ANNUAL SURVEY OF INDUSTRIES
The Annual Survey of Industries (ASI) is the principal source of industrial statistics in India.
The main objectives are to:-
(i) Assess and evaluate the changes in the growth, composition and structure of organized manufacturing factory sector.
(ii) Estimation of the contribution of manufacturing industries as a whole and of each type of industry to the “State Income”.
(iii) The survey is being conducted annually under the statutory provisions of the collection of Statistics (COS) Act, 1953 and the rules framed there-under in1959.
(iv) From ASI 2010-11 onwards, the survey is being conducted annually under the statutory provision of The collection of Statistics (COS) Act, 2008 and the rules framed there under in 2011.
2. Geographical Coverage
The Annual Survey of Industries (ASI) extends to the entire State
3. Coverage of Units
a) It covers all factories registered under Sections 2(m) (I) and 2(m)(ii) of the Factories Act, 1948.
b) The survey also covers bidi and cigar manufacturing establishments registered under the Bidi and Cigar Workers (Conditions of Employment) Act 1966.
c) All captive electricity plants engaged in generation, transmission and distribution of electricity and not registered with the Central Electricity Authority (CEA).
The geographical coverage of the Annual Survey of Industries has been extended to the entire State.
4. Unit of Enumeration
The primary unit of enumeration in the survey is a factory in the case of manufacturing industries, a workshop in the case of repair services, an undertaking or a licensee in the case of electricity undertakings and an establishment in the case of bidi and cigar industries.
5. ASI Frame
• The ASI frame based on the lists of registered factories / units maintained by the Chief Inspector of Factories (CIF) of the State (in Odisha it is Director Factories and Boilers) and those maintained by registration authorities in respect of bidi and cigar establishments and captive electricity undertakings.
• The frame is revised/updated periodically by the Field Operations Division of NSSO in consultation with the CIF in the state. At the time of revision, the names of the de-registered factories are removed from the ASI frame and those of the newly registered factories are added.
• It is dynamically updated on the basis of the information available from the latest survey in respect of the surveyed units.
6. Reference Period
The reference period (year) for ASI is the financial year (April-March) for all items. The actual survey period for ASI is generally September to April in the subsequent year following the reference period.
(i) Data collection/Supervision/scrutiny/data entry & Validation , Tabulation, estimation and report generation
At present, the ASI data are collected in the following schedules:-
• BLOCK A&B : Identification particulars
• BLOCK C : Fixed Asset
• BLOCK D : Working Capital
• BLOCK E : Employment
• BLOCK F : Other Expenses
• Block G : Other Output/Receipts
• BLOCK H : Indigenous Input
• BLOCK I : Imported Input
• Block J: Products & By-products
• Block K: ICT indicators
• Block L: Energy conservation measures
• Block M&N: Particulars of field operation & Comments of Scrutinizing Officer.
After collection/Supervision/scrutiny/data entry & Validation of data in the prescribed schedule
The result on following indicators are estimated under ASI:-
• No. of Workers/Employees
• Gross Value Added (GVA)/ Net Value Added (NVA)
A combined report for the year 2001-02, 2003-04, 2004-05 & 2005-06 has been published.
Latest Activities Going on
The draft report of ASI for 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2008-09 are on finalisation stage. The table generation under ASI, 2014-15 has been completed. The estimation work of ASI, 2015-15 is under progress. The data collection for 2016-17 and 2017-18 are going on.
INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION